2. By using our websites (through any device) you agree that this Cookies Notice applies to that use.
3. We reserve the right to make changes to our Cookies Notice. Any such changes shall appear on all our websites and become effective immediately. Your continued use of our website is taken as meaning that you agree to any such changes.
5. There are different types of cookies. They all work in the same way, but have minor differences:
5.1. Session cookies - Session cookies last only for the duration of your visit and are deleted when you close your browser. These facilitate various tasks such as allowing a website to identify that a user of a particular device is navigating from page to page, supporting website security or basic functionality. Some of the cookies we use are session cookies. For example, they help us to ensure the security of your online account servicing session, and can also keep you signed in while you move between pages or service your account. Our session cookies used for security are designed to be very difficult to read, change, access or use except by us when you have an active online account manager session. They contain no personal information that can be used to identify an individual (for example, our cookie named Identity.Cookie).
5.2. Persistent cookies - Persistent cookies last after you have closed your browser, and allow a website to remember your actions and preferences. Sometimes persistent cookies are used by websites to provide targeted advertising based upon the browsing history of the device. We use persistent cookies in a few ways, for example, to remember your username for log in so you don't have to. We also use persistent cookies to allow us to analyse customer visits to our site, for example our cookie named _ga. These cookies help us to understand how customers arrive at and use our site so we can improve the service.
5.3. First and third party cookies - Whether a cookie is a first or third party cookie depends on which website the cookie comes from. First party cookies are those set by or on behalf of the website visited. All other cookies are third party cookies. We use both first party and third party cookies.
5.4. Strictly necessary cookies - These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, and ensuring the security of your online banking experience. Without these cookies services you have asked for, such as applying for products and managing your accounts, cannot be provided. These cookies don't gather information about you for the purposes of marketing.
5.5. Performance cookies - These cookies help to collect information about how visitors use a web site, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies may collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is only used to improve how a website works, the user experience and to optimise our advertising. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings.
5.6. Functionality cookies - These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name). The information these cookies collect is anonymised (i.e. it does not contain your name, address, account details, etc.) and they do not track your browsing activity across other websites. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings.
5.7. Targeting cookies - These cookies collect several pieces of information about your browsing habits. They are usually placed by advertising networks. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as media publishers. These organisations do this in order to provide you with targeted adverts more relevant to you and your interests. This type of advertising is called online behavioural advertising and those companies providing this advertising are working with the UK's Internet Advertising Bureau to deliver more information to consumers. To highlight this information, publishers of advertising will, look to place an icon in the top right hand corner of an advert. This icon when clicked, will take you through to the website (www.youronlinechoices.com/uk) where there is more help and guidance. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings.
6. If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by any website, including our website, you should do this through the browser settings for each browser you use, on each device you use to access the internet.
7. Please be aware that some of our services, for example online account management, will not function if your browser does not accept cookies. However, you can allow cookies from specific websites by making them "trusted websites" in your internet browser.
8. You may wish to visit the website https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/ which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wider variety of browsers.